Monday 22 November 2010

The Smiths

As common might be the name of this rock band from Manchester, "The Smiths"'s distinguished melodies have played one of the most influential roles in the alternative scene. Lead singer and songwriter, Morrissey, has made history with his unique voice and meaningful poetic lyrics written straight from his vulnerable heart, expressing best the suffocation and loneliness of the misunderstood. Morrissey would often display dark humor to describe the complications of human relationships with songs like "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "Bigmouth Strikes Again". The short-lived band (1982-1987) left behind only four studio albums: "The Smiths", "Meat Is Murder", "The Queen is Dead" and "Strangeways, Here We Come".


There is a light that never goes out

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes in to us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine

There is a light that never goes out


How soon is now?


I am the son
and the heir
of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does


Still Ill


And if you must, go to work - tomorrow
Well, if I were you I really wouldn't bother
For there are brighter sides to life
And I should know, because I've seen them
But not very often ...


Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill ?

Bigmouth Strikes Again



Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to smash every tooth
In your head

Oh ... sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking
When I said by rights you should be
Bludgeoned in your bed


The Boy With the Thorn in his Side


The boy with the thorn in his side
Behind the hatred there lies
A plundering desire for love
How can they see the Love in our eyes
And still they don't believe us ?
And after all this time
They don't want to believe us
And if they don't believe us now
Will they ever believe us ?


Panic



Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
It says nothing to me about my life

Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music they constantly play
On the Leeds side-streets that you slip down
Provincial towns you jog 'round
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ